Thursday, October 14, 2010

Playing Catch Up


I'm behind on posting so I'm playing catch up right now. We've been trying to get into a routine with Emily and it seems like all I do is feed her and catch up on sleep, but I'm loving every minute of it!

Poor little Emily had a rough couple of first days. She was allergic to the ointment that they put in all newborns eyes, so her right eye was so swollen that she couldn't even open it. She also had a newborn rash, which the doctors said didn't bother her and that she couldn't even feel it (how do they know that?) but it looked horrible and I felt so bad for her. The doctor also had to use the vacuum on her when she was born so she had a huge bruise on her head that was purple and raised. The color is back to normal but she still has a big goose egg on her head that will take a couple more weeks to fully go away. After we dealt with all of that, we got released from the hospital on Monday afternoon.
By Monday evening, we noticed that Emily was looking really yellow, so we called our pediatrician and we able to get in on Tuesday morning. they drew some blood and her bilirubin levels were too high. Hers was 16.3 and they want it under 15. So Emily was admitted back into the hospital on Tuesday afternoon so that she could be put under ultraviolet lights to help get rid of her jaundice. Up until this point, I thought that giving birth was the hardest thing that I had ever done. But staying Tuesday night in the hospital with her was so much worse. I was only allowed to take her out to feed and change her, so when she was crying hysterically for hours, there was nothing I could do about it! I think that I was crying just as hard as she was at some points! I am so grateful that she only had to stay there one night- I don't think I could have handled another night!
A couple days after we got home from the hospital, the second time, we noticed that her eye was no longer swollen, but now it had nasty goopy stuff coming out of it. We made another appointment with her doctor and it turns out that she has a clogged tear duct, which they say is pretty common in newborns, so we have more medicine for that. Hopefully this is the last thing that she has to deal with for a while!! Poor little girl is having a rough couple of weeks!!!

Her newborn rash


Swollen eye

Her little glasses and hooked up to an IV before going under the UV lights.

Under the lights :(

Snuggling with Daddy


2 comments:

Mia Hansen said...

I'm sorry she had a rough few days! i'm thinking about you guys a lot! I'll keep her in my prayers for a fast recovery and no more problems! She's beautiful!

erika said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe how much has happened already. She's such a trooper!