Saturday, October 09, 2010

Emily Mei

Emily is here! She was born on Sunday, October 3, 2010, and weighed 6 lbs. 7.5 oz.
On Friday, Jonathan called around lunch time and said that he was on his way to the doctors because he had dislocated his shoulder at work. We joked saying how this would be a bad day for me to go into labor... Well that night I started having contractions at around 10pm. They started at 3 minutes apart and by midnight I decided that I should probably wake Jonathan so that we could go to the hospital. We got there around 12:30 and monitored me for a while, but I was not dilated or effaced at all so they sent me home at 1:30 am, telling me that they were just Braxton Hicks and that they can last up to 6 hours. I was not a happy camper!

On Saturday morning, the contractions were still coming 3 minutes apart and more intense, but I didn't want to go back to the hospital because I didn't want to be sent home again! But at noon, my water broke, so we decided that we better head in!

After I was admitted and in the hospital room, Jonathan went down tot he car to get our hospital bags and all the nurses had left, so I was alone in the room. It was then, when I was having intense contractions and was all by myself that I realized how grateful I was that I had Jonathan and someone to be there to help me through this! I don't know how some people do this with no support at all!!

I had plans to have a completely natural birth, but that changed very quickly! I hadn't slept at all the night before and I was exhausted so the nurses gave me some narcotics which would help me sleep. After I took those, I slept sooo good! They did make me a little loopy tho and I was confused most of the time until they wore off. By about 9 pm, after I was on pitocin for a couple of hours, I was finally dilated to 3cm and the contractions were so intense that I was ready for an epidural. It took the guy close to an hour and a half to come and I was so happy to see him that I wanted to cry! Can I just say how amazing epidurals are!!! Afterwards, I felt NOTHING!!! After the epidural was finally in, it was a little past 11pm, and I was so excited to sleep and get some rest! I was asleep for about half an hour when the nurses came in to have me switch positions. They moved me and about 3 minutes later came back in because Emily's heartrate had dropped when they moved me. So they moved me again, and decided to check me since they were there. The nurse checked and I was already a 10! I went from 3 cm to 10 cm. in about 30mins!! She went to get another nurse and then told me to start pushing! I was not mentally prepared for it to come so fast!! I pushed for about an hour, and at 1:04 am, Emily was born!!

Emily is the sweetest little baby ever and we are so happy that she is finally here!



More pictures to come soon!

2 comments:

Carly said...

Beautiful!! Can't wait to see more pics of beautiful mama & emily.

Mia Hansen said...

Such a cute family!!! Glad she's here!!